Ohio State’s third week matchup with California has provided plenty of fireworks thus far. The high-scoring affair has many notables through the first two quarters, here are a few of the biggest!
- Kenny Guiton doubled his season touchdown total in the first quarter
- 90 yard touchdown on Buckeye’s first drive of the game was longest play in school history
- Devin Smith’s 149 first half yards already most of any Buckeye WR in a game this season
- Ryan Shazier big hit on Jared Goff resulted in drive-extending 15 yard penalty (hit out-of-bounds)
- Brandley Roby has played well thus far in first start since suspension
- Defense has looked somewhat undisciplined, Shazier’s hit and two offside penalties have hurt performance
- Front seven has allowed numerous scrambles by Goff, didn’t seem prepared for that aspect of game
- California backup quarterback Kyle Boehm has come in for numerous wildcat plays, all run to success (2 first downs)
- Heart and soul of the defense, Ryan Shazier, shaken up midway through second quarter, returned with two minutes left
- Despite the stats which show the Buckeyes D containing the California ground game (just 2.6 ypc) tackling has looked poor thus far
- Jordan Hall has been very productive, 84 yards and a touchdown on just ten touches
- After OSU opened game 21-0, California has fought back resiliently to make to 31-20 going into the half
- In the final minute of the half, California successfully converted a fake punt which extended the drive, resulting in field goal to cut OSU lead to eleven
- The key to California’s success on the fake punt lies in the numbers. Both Jared Goff and punter Cole Leininger wear number sixteen
The score board tells the whole story, this ones a shootout. Both defenses have struggled against the impressive quarterback play. The key to OSU staying ahead in the second half will be if the Buckeye secondary can find a way to contain the Jared Goff air raid. If accomplished, Kenny Guiton and the offense’s job will be much easier, they’ll just need to keep doing what they’re doing!