Buckeye Talk is back again! Here’s a look at some of the quotes from this week:
- When asked about Jadeveon Clowney, Meyer implied that he wouldn’t have a problem with a defensive player winning the heisman: ”From the highlights I’ve seen of the guy from South Carolina, if there’s ever going to be one this would be a year that he’ll certainly be in the race.”
- Meyer named RB Jordan Hall Offensive player of the week and S Christian Bryant defensive player of the week. Hall had a huge game rushing for a career high 159 and 2 TD (each 35+ yards). Christian Bryant at one point was the only returning starter from last season on the field.
- A point on Braxton Miller’s improved pocket presence: Meyer says they “forced” Braxton Miller to remain in the pocket last week, because they wanted to see him operate there.
- Bradley Roby will not be starting for the Buckeyes this week and shares the top spot on this week’s depth chart with Armani Reeves. Reeves made his first start of his career last week for the suspended Roby.
- Roby is an incredible athlete: He runs a 4.38 40 time, 6.69 3-cone drill, 3.69 pro shuttle, and a 10’8″ broad jump.
- Urban Meyer on Roby: ”I believe (Roby) learned a very valuable lesson, and I’m anxious to get him back on the field this week.”
- Cornerbacks/Special Teams coach Kerry Coombs on Reeves: “I thought his effort was fantastic. He’s a hustler. Handled it extremely well.”
- The return of Roby and C.J. Barnett will help add depth to the defense; Meyer: “We’d like to be a little more aggressive defensively than we were vs Buff. but depth issues prevented it. Should improve this week”
- Rod Smith will return to a crowded backfield. Running backs Coach Stan Drayton said that if running backs want to see time in the backfield they will have to play well on special teams.
- Drayton on Smith: ”Rod Smith is an energy provider…he brings the power component…having (Smith) back is a plus for us”
- Drayton also said that Jordan Hall is seeing reps at both RB and H-Back.
- San Diego State coach Rocky Long named Braxton Miller as his favorite to win the Heisman.
- Meyer returned the praise, calling San Diego State RB Adam Muema, “One of the best tailbacks in the country.”
- One last point: Coach Meyer had Ohio State at #2 in his coaches’ poll ballot. Ohio State dropped to #3 in the AP while remaining #2 in the coaches’ poll.
Special thanks to the following twitter accounts for this week’s Buckeye Talk: @BuckeyeTV, @OhioStAthletics, @TheBuckeyeNut, @LoriSchmidt