As week 1 of the college football season is coming to a close, we take a look at how each team on Ohio State’s 2013 schedule did in their respective debuts:
- San Diego State: SDSU struggled mightily against FCS opponent Eastern Illinois, losing 40-19. They were outscored 21-3 in the second half and held scoreless in the fourth quarter. The Aztecs had 5 turnovers and allowed 533 yards of total offense.
- California: The Golden Bears hosted Big Ten opponent Northwestern and fell 44-30. Cal tied the game early in the fourth with a field goal, and was outscored 17-3 in the final 14 minutes. The big damage was a pick 6 from Collin Evans to push the Wildcats lead to 10. It was the second pick 6 of the game from Evans. Northwestern accumulated 209 yards on the ground.
- Florida A&M: The Rattlers handled Mississippi Valley State in the SWAC/MEAC challenge, moving to 1-0 with a 27-10 victory.
- Wisconsin: The Badgers absolutely destroy UMass, shutting out the Minutemen 45-0. Three Wisconsin running backs had 100 yards and a TD each, and QB Joel Stave threw 2 TD (both to Jared Abbrederis) and added a running score.
- Northwestern: As mentioned above, the Wildcats won @California, 44-30. CB Daniel Jones suffered a season ending knee injury in the victory.
- Iowa: Iowa fell to Northern Illinois 30-27. Iowa blew a 27-20 lead with 6 minutes left in the game, losing on a last minute field goal set up by a late interception thrown by Jake Rudock (making his first start). Iowa had three total turnovers
- Penn State: The Nittany Lions beat Syracuse 23-17. Nothing really exciting to report here, Syracuse QB Drew Allen struggled mightily, completing less than half his passes and throwing two interceptions. Penn State true Freshman QB Christian Hackenberg, on the other hand, had a good outing and managed a solid victory, tossing two touchdowns.
- Purdue: Purdue got manhandled 42-7 by Cincinnati. They allowed 221 yards on the ground and turned the ball over 4 times. Purdue QB Rob Henry posted a QBR of 12.1.
- Illinois: Illinois beat FCS/in-state foe Southern Illinois 42-34. Nathan Scheelhaase had a huge game, throwing for 416 yards and 2 TD. The Illini had to hold off Southern Illinois on a 4th and goal attempt to hang on for the victory.
- Indiana: The Hoosiers dropped 73 points to beat Indiana State 73-35. The Hoosiers had 632 total yards and showed great balance, rushing for 313 and throwing for 319.
- Michigan: Michigan dismantled Western Michigan 59-7. QB Devin Gardner had 3 total touchdowns and Michigan ran for 6 touchdowns as a team. RB Drake Johnson will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL.
Overall, Buckeye opponents went 7-4 (3-1 against FCS schools, 1-1 against each other)