National Signing Day is the moment when High School All-Stars are transformed into major College Football players. Recruiting under Urban Meyer has been a major upgrade compared to his predecessors. Currently, Ohio State sits fourth in ESPN’s Recruiting Nation rankings. Can they make a push to #1?
In the Clubhouse (23 Commitments)
- Eli Apple — CB — Voorhees, NJ (Eastern)
- J.T. Barrett — QB — Wichita Falls, TX (Rider)
- Cameron Burrows — CB — Trotwood, OH (Trotwood-Madison)
- Tyquan Lewis — DE — Tarboro, NC (Tarboro)
- Tracy Sprinkle — DE — Elyria, OH (Elyria)
- Trey Johnson — OLB — Lawrenceville, GA (Central Gwinnett)
- Ezekiel Elliott — RB — St. Louis, MO (John Burroughs School)
- Corey Smith — WR — Scooba, MS (East Mississippi)
- Donovan Munger — DT — Shaker Heights, OH (Shaker Heights)
- Christopher Worley — OLB — Cleveland, OH (Glenville)
- Mike Mitchell — MLB — Plano, TX (Prestonwood Christian)
- Gareon Conley — CB — Massillon, OH (Washington)
- Tim Gardner — OG — Indianapolis, IN (Lawrence Central)
- Taivon Jacobs — WR — Forestville, MD (Suitland)
- Michael Hill — DT — Pendleton, SC (Pendleton)
- Darron Lee — S — New Albany, OH (New Albany)
- Johnny Townsend — P — Orlando, FL (Boone)
- Joey Bosa — DE — Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas Aquinas)
- Marcus Baugh — TE — Riverside, CA (North)
- Jayme Thompson — S — Toledo, OH (Central Catholic)
- Evan Lisle — OT — Centerville, OH (Centerville)
- Billy Price — DT — Youngstown, OH (Fitch)
- Jalin Marshall — WR — Middletown, OH (Middletown)
- Vonn Bell — S — Rossville, GA (Ridgeland): Bell has narrowed his list to Alabama, Ohio State and Tennessee. The Volunteers are considered to be the current favorite but Alabama and Ohio State are under a great deal of consideration.
- Dontre Wilson — RB — Desoto, TX (De Soto): Wilson is down to Ohio State and Oregon. Wilson was committed firmly to Oregon until Chip Kelly was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles. Since then, he has looked at what else is out there. Wilson has been committed for sometime. Oregon is expected to run the same Offense under new Head Coach Mark Helfrich.
Storylines to Follow
1. Can Ohio State hold on to Ezekiel Elliot and Trey Johnson? Both of these recruits are listed as soft verbals to Ohio State. They have been looking around at their options. Will they end up landing with the Buckeyes on Signing Day? If they do not, Ohio State’s class could take a big hit?
2. Can the Buckeyes land either Bell or Wilson? Both of these recruits are tremendous talents. Bell is a great Safety that could contribute to Ohio State’s Defense. Wilson is a perfect fit Urban Meyer’s Offensive system. Can they get either of them to sign at the last moment?
3. Where does Ohio State finish? Currently, the Buckeyes are 4th in ESPN’s Team Rankings. Can they improve on that mark? If they hold on to their 23 commitments including Elliott and Johnson and land Bell or Wilson, they should move up further depending on the teams around them.