Many other sites today will be giving you previews and different looks at today’s OSU vs. MSU game, but I’m going to cut to the chase and throw out several predictions for what you’ll see in the game. We saw what happened a few weeks ago when the teams met, so there’s no sense in dwelling on all of those ugly details. Instead, here are a few things that you’ll see this afternoon in East Lansing:
- There will be more than 106 total points in this B1G battle. 106 was the total (58-48 MSU) when these teams met on February 11, in a game that most Buckeye fans wish they could erase from their memory banks. MSU took the lead and manhandled the Bucks all game, completely squashing any appearance of an offense. I am predicting 128 combined points in today’s matchup. This is by no means a run and gun shootout, but certainly a higher output than your average women’s high school game, unlike last month.
- Jared Sullinger and Draymond Green will both have double-doubles, with Green getting the slight edge in points production and Sully beating him in rebounds.
- Sullinger will be harrassed and mugged underneath, as he was in Columbus against Sparty, but he will cut his turnovers in half (to 5) from the first meeting and cut his whining after the play significantly down (roughly 33% less whining).
- Aaron Craft will force Keith Appling into at least 5 turnovers, again, but Appling will still finished with 12-14 points. Craft, meanwhile, will end the game with under 10 points.
- Adreian Payne will NOT lead Sparty in scoring today or shoot 100% from the field. However, he will play a significant role in keeping Sparty even with the Bucks for most of this game.
- William Buford will lead the team in scoring today. Let me repeat that, WILLIAM BUFORD WILL LEAD THE TEAM IN SCORING TODAY. Willy B has been ice cold against most of the top teams in the Big Ten this year, but will get plenty of good looks today when Sullinger becomes more patient and dishes the ball out to him, a la Sully/Diebler last season.
- I predict that Jared Sullinger will have a happier birthday than Draymond Green. Although they are 2 years apart, both Sully and the probable B1G Player of the Year, Green were born on March 4. (Unrelated…Chaz Bono is also a March 4 bday…FYI)
- FINAL SCORE = OSU 66 – MSU 62